What is a forklift? It a very powerful tool whose purpose is to move and store the product material safely at its desired location in the warehouse. It has been found each year many accidents occur due to mishandling of forklifts and ultimately result is death. There is a big risk involved when a forklift operator:
– Is not trained properly to move the loads from one place to another.
– Is not aware of operational functions of forklift
– Drives the equipment with carelessness
– Since this equipment is powerful it requires a special training especially to the one who is operating.
A big question that arises here is how we can avoid all these accidents? A simple answer to this question a proper ‘forklift training’
Major Benefits Achieved Through Training:
The benefits achieved through robust forklift traininghelp a lot to forklift operators. The training enhances driver’s skills of operation for forklift equipments.
- To get compliance with regulatory requirements: OSHA ahs some specific requirements for forklifts. It is totally up to fork lift driver or employer to get themselves aware of all these regulations and compliances. If any failure occurs in requirements, it opens up a gate for company financial losses and other fiscal damages like injury to other co-operators, floor manager, pedestrians. If we see from attaining forklift training, it is a long list.
- Increasing the life of machinery equipment: Training is not only safe but also helps a lot in forklift inspections. A forklift operator with proper training knows how to maintain the equipment properly. When a trained operator works on equipment there will be less wear and tear of equipment. Hence; life span of vehicle is increased and it lasts longer.
- Operating cost is reduced: With proper training, operating cost of equipment is reduced to a greater extent. There will less damage to the equipment. In a nut shell, a proper documented and formalized training helps in better care of the equipments.
- Productivity: A major difference can be noted between operators who have under gone the training with the one who is not trained. The trained operators are always more efficient. Since efficiency is directly proportional to productivity. So, with higher efficiency there will be higher productivity and hence more productive employees and organization can have.
- Improved “safety measure” and morale boost up: A well trained employee will have a security felling. After all, a life security is a must for every individual. Also, improve efficiency will help to boost up the morale and the task can be accomplished on a faster pace.
Steps Involved in Training:
- The formal theoretical training initially begins with representation, discussion and lectures. A written is conducted and it is mandatory to get through it.
- After the theoretical part, practical training begins. A well experienced trainer teaches all the safety measures of the forklift equipment.
- Also, the operator is given online training i.e. he is trained on a generalized machine so that he is ready to operate other machines too.
- Some organization before hiring any forklift operator requires that the operator must have undergone a proper training.
In the training an operator is taught all the rules and safety standards for handling forklifts. All these standards have been addressed by OSHA.
After completion of training program operator must push other workers to under go this training. This training program is beneficial for everyone from safety point of view. Also, a trained operator has better career prospective both in terms of salary and position.